New Border enforce measure to prevent coronavirus variant Omicron (B.1.1.529)
(Updated on December 1)
1. As one of the emergency and precautionary measures against Omicron variant of COVID-19, the validity of all Entry Visas to Japan issued before Dec. 2nd 2021, except those printed as “(D) As Diplomat” “(S) As Spouse, Child of Japanese” and “(S) As Spouse of Permanent Resident,” will be temporarily suspended until Dec 31, 2021. Please note that “(V) AS TEMPORARY VISITER” visa for a spouse/child of a Japanese national/permanent resident will also be suspended.
2. Foreign nationals arriving from the United States or other designated countries/regions will be denied entry to Japan unless there are "Exceptional Circumstances."
From 0:00 am (JST) December 2, 2021 to December 31, 2021, as emergency precautionary measure from a preventive perspective, entry of foreign nationals with other special exceptional circumstances was changed. The cases for entry of foreign nationals with special exceptional circumstances are as follows.
(1) Foreign nationals entering Japan with re-entry permit (including a special re-entry permit; the same applies hereinafter) who fall under any of the following
- Foreign nationals with status of residence who have not stayed in Angola, Eswatini, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi, South Africa, Mozambique, or Lesotho within 14 days prior to the application for landing.
- Foreign nationals with the status of residence of “Permanent Resident”, “Spouse or Child of a Japanese National”, “Spouse or Child of a Permanent Resident” or “Long Term Resident” (including spouse or child of Japanese/Permanent Resident who don’t hold the status of residence), who have stayed in Angola, Eswatini, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi, South Africa, Mozambique, or Lesotho within 14 days prior to the application for landing, but have departed Japan with Re-entry Permission by December 1, 2021.
- Foreign nationals who departed from Japan with a re-entry permit before August 31, 2020 and who were not permitted to re-enter Japan because the validity period of the re-entry permission expired after the country/region of stay was designated an area subject to denial of landing.(Excluding those who have stayed in Angola, Eswatini, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi, South Africa, Mozambique, or Lesotho within 14 days prior to the application for landing)
- Spouse or child of a Japanese national/permanent resident.
- Spouse or child of a foreign national where the foreign national has the status of residence of “Long-Term Resident”, whose family is staying in Japan and who has been separated from his/her family.
(4) Foreign nationals who are recognized to be in special exceptional circumstances corresponding to an individual situation such as the truly need for humanitarian consideration or the need for public benefit, in particular.
Currently, all foreign nationals who wish to newly enter Japan need to apply for a visa except for those with re-entry permit. For any questions, please contact Japan Visa Information Hotline TEL: 1-202-773-9557 (24 hours/7 days a week, English only).
Phased Measures for Resuming Cross-Border Travel (MOFA)
Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel (MOFA)