Visiting Japan & Visa
Foreign nationals who meet ALL of the criteria below are no longer required to obtain a visa.
(New! 2023/3/17) From March 17, 2023, applicants for a long-term stay visa may submit a copy of Certificate of Eligibility (COE) instead of an original one.
(New! 2023/3/8) The consulate doesn't accept any inquiries regarding the status of your application. We will contact applicants only if additional documentation is required.
(New! 2023/1/20) Due to the high volume of visa applications, all visas will be issued only by mail after February 1, 2023. Applicants cannot receive a visa in person at the consulate office. For more details, please refer to “How to Apply for a VISA”.
24 Hours/7 days Japan Visa Information Hotline (English) TEL: ＋1 888 704 4459 (Toll Free Call)
The Consulate Consular Section TEL: 206 682 9107 ex.126 or 120
If you have questions, please contact 24 hours/7days Japan Visa Information Hotline. The Consulate is currently receiving a high volume of inquiries while our resources are limited. Please leave a message with your contact information when you call us. It may take us longer to respond to inquiries. Thank you for understanding.
Visiting JapanPlease note that every entrant is still required to have either a valid vaccine certificate or a pre-departure COVID-19 testing result and recommended to use Visit Japan Web.
- Current Japanese Border Measures
- Visit Japan Web is available when you enter Japan
|Staying Safe in Japan|
Custom & Quarantine
What is JNTO ?
Official Name: Japan National Tourism Organization
- Japanese visa information: Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
- Japanese Immigration and Certificate of Eligibility: Ministry of Justice (MOJ)
- Foreign national coexistence policies：Immigration Services Agency of Japan
- Countermeasures of Novel Coronavirus in Japan: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW)
- MHLW Hotline: +81-3-3595-2176 (English and other languages)
- Narita Airport Quarantine Station Phone: +81-476-34-2310
- Haneda Airport Quarantine Station Phone: +81-3-6847-9312 *For all other locations click here
- Official guide for traveling Japan-Travel Japan (JNTO): Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO)
- Novel Coronavirus information: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. citizens traveling abroad: Department of States (DOS)
- U.S. citizens in Japan: U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Japan
- U.S. immigration: Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- U.S. visa: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Washington State Department of Health
- Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services
- Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
- Visa Exempt Countries
- Immigration Services Agency of Japan
- Other Japanese Embassy/Consulates in the U.S.
- Consular Services
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA)
- Ministry of Justice of Japan (MOJ)
- Customs Information
- Bringing Medications to Japan
- Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO)
- Japan Information and Culture Center
- U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Japan
- U.S. Department of Defense Travel Management Office