Work/Long Term Stay

Please submit a completed checklist with your visa application.


A foreign citizen planning to engage in paid work in Japan, study as a student or long-term residency.

Term of Stay

Up to 5 years

Validity of Visa

In general, a visa is only valid for one entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame. A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Multiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with.


Please click here for information at this time.

Valid Passport
Properly signed by bearer, must have at least one blank VISA page

Proof of your U.S. Immigration Status

Valid U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green card) AND ☐ Copy
Original Valid F1 Visa ☐ Original 1-20 with valid travel endorsement signature AND ☐ Copies
Original EAD card AND ☐ Copy (if applicable)
Original Valid J1 Visa ☐ Original DS-2019 with valid travel endorsement signature AND ☐ Copies
Other U.S. Visa holder ☐ Original AND  ☐ Copy of your valid U.S. Visa ☐Original I-797 AND ☐ copy

Completed Visa Application Form
 (Visa application formOpen a new window): The applicant must complete the visa application form in black pen or typed. Signature must be original.
On the application form, if there is a field not applicable, please write “N/A” or “None”.
*Nationals from Russia, CIS countries (Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgys, Tajikstan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan), or Georgia are required to submit two sets of the application form.

One Passport Size Photograph

2X1.4 inch photograph must be taken within the last six months with plain background

Original Certificate of Eligibility (COE) AND Copy

Please have your proxy in Japan obtain a COE by submitting an application with the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau of the Ministry of Justice to the proxy’s place of work/residence in Japan (an application for Certificate of Eligibility cannot be made at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

For detailed information, please click here: a new window

Proof of Current Address

Can be either a WA/MT/ID Driver License or WA/MT/ID ID. If your DL is not your current address, please bring a copy of a utility bill.

Visa Fee

Please refer to the Visa fee page. Payment method: We accept CASH ONLY. We do not accept credit cards or personal checks.


**DEPENDENTS of U.S. Military Personnel

Dependents of U.S. Military Personnel stationed in Japan are not required to obtain a visa to apply for landing permission at a port of entry in Japan, in accordance with the agreement between the U.S. and Japan (SOFA). Please bring your dependent entry approval and a copy of the dependent’s military ID card.